Hi everyone! Bryan the owner here again with the latest update. I’m happy to say that, after a lot of careful planning and prep, we will be opening our doors to in-store shopping starting on Friday. However, there are several important rules you will need to keep in mind and adhere to in order to shop in the store. Please read the following post in its entirety!
The last several days have been quite a roller coaster. First, Governor Evers’ office updated the Safer at Home order loosening restrictions on businesses like I’m Board, allowing limited in-store shopping. However, the update was “effective immediately” and I was not about to open our doors unless we had a firm plan in place to best ensure the safety of customers and staff. Then, the WI Supreme Court struck down the order entirely, which caused me no small amount of anxiety. Then Dane County jumped in, issuing their own extension of the governor’s order (which the Supreme Court made very clear was a legal act in their ruling). And now, Dane Country has issued an updated comprehensive Emergency Order, coupled with a comprehensive plan for the phased reopening of the county.
With all that going on, I made the decision to keep the stores as curbside pickup only until we could create a system and environment that would best allow our customers to access the store, while at the same time minimizing exposure and risk as much as possible. And while nothing is perfectly safe, we feel we have set up a process and a set of rules that will greatly reduce everyone’s risk. Coupled with the fact that Dane County is currently doing pretty well containing the virus, I feel confident to open our doors to an eager customer base.
We gamers are good at following rules, so it should be no problem for anyone who wants to shop in the stores to follow these:
- Customers are encouraged to continue using our online shopping portal to place their orders for curbside pickup. We have set up a Pickup Zone right inside the door of each store so all you have to do is pop in, grab your order, and go.*
- If you are not feeling well, or are showing flu-like symptoms (even if you think it is just seasonal allergies), you may not enter the store.
- A mask or other face protection, covering both mouth and nose, must be worn at all times while in the store. No exceptions. We will be wearing them as well.
- No more than four customers are allowed in the store at a time. We will be monitoring occupancy and you may be asked to step outside and wait. Please understand this is both to maintain safety but also to comply with Dane County orders.
- Groups should send in one person at a time. Of course, you don’t need to leave your child outside, but you may need to wait with them until there is room.
- Maintain that 6-foot distance! You all know how that works by now.
- No animals except for guide and service dogs allowed. Emotional support animals are not permitted.
- When you enter, you will be expected to give yourself a squirt of hand sanitizer, which will be provided inside the door. Even if you are wearing gloves.
- To better reduce crowding at the door, note the arrows at the front which will direct you which direction to go as you enter and leave.
- When possible, shop with your eyes, and not your hands. Within reason of course.
- We are so happy to see you again and would love to catch up! But please limit your in-store shopping time to about 10 minutes or so, if possible. We won’t time you or anything, but do keep your time in the store in mind. This is to both reduce potential exposure but also to give more people a chance to shop.
If you are unable to, or have a reasons that prevent you from, complying with any of the above rules, you are very welcome to shop using our online portal, or we will happily take your call.
* The online shopping system has been working very well, and allows you to shop the inventory at both stores simultaneously. However, there is one minor caveat. Because we are merging a standalone online shopping system with the inventory at two locations, plus our (and your) desire to tie in Victory Points rewards to the sales, the end solution is that items you order may not actually reside at the store where you intend to pick them up. Rest assured when we contact you to collect payment info, we will let you know if items need to be transferred, and give you several easy options. Thanks for understanding!
New Store Hours
Other good news is we are expanding our hours! While still reduced, we now plan on being open 7 days a week. Our current store hours are posted on the home page.
These may change based on relative popularity of in-store shopping. Also note we will be closed on Monday, May 25, for Memorial Day.
Thank you so much for all your continued support. You certainty don’t need another business reminding you that it’s a trying time. Instead, I’ll just say that we’re here with lots of fun stuff, and we remain excited to share it with you. If you have any questions or concerns, don’t hesitate to email me.