Kickstarter Projects We Are Backing
The evolution of Kickstarter has been interesting over the past few years, with many wannabe (and existing) publishers seeing the marketing advantages of the KS platform, while increasingly seeing the importance that brick-n-mortar game stores have in both the initial and long-term viability of a product. Plus, they are understanding that many potential buyers simply don’t want to directly back KS projects. As such, most tabletop gaming projects now include a method for retailers to back a project.
Below are the projects that we are currently backing, as well as some projects that we have decided not to back. If you would like to preorder one of these games, give us a call at 608-831-6631 and a staffer will add you to the list! In-store pickup only (we do not ship). If you don’t see a particular project on this list, we probably don’t know it exists. Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to alert us of a project you feel we may find interesting.
There are several reasons why we decide not to back a project, but the main ones are:
- We don’t think we will be able to sell enough copies. Often we have to being in a minimum quantity, and if we don’t feel that we can sell that minimum quantity, we will wait for the product to show up in our regular distribution channels (if it ever does).
- The project boasts waves of add-ons and stretch goals. These tend tend to be “giant boxes of minis with a game attached” projects, and they tend to be logistical nightmares (and often very late in delivering).
- The manufacturer does not offer retailers the KS version and/or stretch goals. We want to provide you the same stuff as everyone else.
- The manufacturer does not offer realistic retailer terms. If we won’t be able to sell it to you at the same price they offer and still make a profit, we are not interested. This is also a red flag that the manufacturer has not done their homework.
- Shipping costs. This is often an issue with projects that originate overseas. Again, we want to be able to sell it to you without charging you shipping, so the costs must be small enough that we can “eat” those expenses and still be profitable.
- We simply don’t trust the project. Call it experience, or gut, or a simple “we have a bad feeling about this.”
|Game/Project Name||Are We Backing It?||Are We Still Taking Preorders?||Has It Arrived?|
|A Song of Ice & Fire: Tabletop Miniatures Game||Yes||Yes||No|
|Artifices of Quartztoil Tower - 5E Adventure||Yes||Yes||No|
|Batman: Gotham City Chronicles||No|
|City of Gears, a Game of Discovery, Development & Disruption||Yes||Yes||No|
|Crusaders: Thy Will Be Done - Deluxified™||Yes||Yes||No|
|Dice Throne: Season Two!||Yes||Yes||No|
|Direwild! A cooperative deckbuilding dungeon crawl||Yes||Yes||No|
|Downfall - Deluxified™ Edition||Yes||Yes||No|
|Edge of Darkness from AEG||Yes||Yes||No|
|Endeavor: Age of Sail||Yes||Yes||No|
|FINCA - board game with fruits||No|
|Gearworks: A steampunk strategy card game||Yes||Yes||No|
|Gentes - Deluxified™ Edition||Yes||Yes||No|
|Master of the Galaxy - a 4X board game of galactic expansion||Yes||Yes||No|
|Mutant Crawl Classics RPG (MCC RPG)||Yes||Yes||No|
|Nova Cry: A 30-minute Sci-Fi Card Game||Yes||No||No|
|Overworld - 16-Bit Tile-Placement & Exploration Boardgame||Yes||Yes||No|
|Rappan Athuk: Reborn for Fifth Edition!||Yes||Yes||No|
|ROBOT RISE! Embrace Your Inner Mad Scientist||Yes||No||Yes|
|ROLL PLAYER - Monsters & Minions Expansion||Yes||Yes||No|
|Root: A Game of Woodland Might and Right||Yes||Yes||No|
|Sigil & Sign — Cthulhu Mythos RPG where you play the cultist||Yes||Yes||No|
|SteamRollers - The definitive roll and write train game||Yes||Yes||No|
|Swordcrafters||Stay tuned||Stay tuned||No|
|TerrainCrate - Plastic, affordable, fantasy terrain!||Yes||Yes||No|
|Warehouse 13: The Board Game||Yes||Yes||No|
|Zombicide: Green Horde||Yes||Yes||No|